Virtual Private Networks have gained quite a huge popularity in today’s world. Originally, a VPN allow corporate companies to remote employees access corporate network in a secure manner. Now, VPNs are used to get a lot more done.
The most important features of a VPN are the security and anonymity it provides to a user, both of which are the most sought after attributes in today’s age. Everyone wants to get their hands on a VPN today, but many Windows users don’t know how to set up a VPN on their Windows 8 system. With the help of this guide, you can get that done quite easily.
Setup a VPN on Windows 8
We will take you through the steps to setup a VPN on Windows 8 system in a short while. Before that you need to make sure that you have all that is require to setup a VPN on your system. Here is the inventory for the job:
- A working internet connection.
- A valid subscription with a VPN service.
- VPN credentials, i.e. your username and password.
- Additional technical configuration, if required for your particular needs.
- A Windows 8 system.
After doing an inventory check you can be sure that you have all that is required to setup a VPN on Windows 8 system. All that is left for you to do now is follow this step-by-step guide:
- Move your cursor to the right side of your screen and then click on Settings -> Control Panel in the side menu that appears there.
- Click on ‘Network and Sharing Centre’ in Control Panel.
- Now click on ‘Setup a new connection of network’ which is under the menu ‘Change your networking settings’.
- A window will appear on your screen. Find ‘Connect to a workplace’ from the list of options, click on it, and then click Next.
- In the wizard that prompts your screen now, select ‘Use my internet connection (VPN)’.
- You will now need to enter your VPN connection credentials. You will be able to see two fields, namely ‘Internet Address’ and ‘Destination name’, in this new window. The first field is to be fill with the domain name or IP address of your VPN server. You can enter any name you want to give to your VPN connection for entering in the second field.
- Three checkboxes should be visible under these fields now. Make sure that ‘Remember my credentials’. checkbox is already tick only if you are the only one who accesses your system.
- Click on ‘Create’ now.
- The networks pane will appear after a few seconds. You should be able to see the name of the VPN you just created there. To start using it, simply click on it and connect to it.
This guide is designed to help people setup a VPN in Windows 8. While companies have been using VPNs to allow remote workers connect to and access files on the corporate network securely for many years now, common internet users have started using VPNs only recently.
Its uses like bypassing geo-restrictions, keeping one’s data and identity safe and secure while on the internet, etc. make it quite useful for normal users as well. This guide should help Windows 8 users setup a VPN on their system.